Saturday, March 22, 2008

TODAY'S WORD IS HETERODOX

My Dear Students,
These are difficult times. These are days that are numbered. Who knows what tomorrow will bring or if we will be there for it. But just in case we make it to CSEC in one piece lets practice these words and learn to use them in sentences.
Tomorrow is egg day. Today is vocabulary day. Be good and have a great Holy Saturday.
I miss you all,

Yours sincerely,
Brenda Ysaguirre
Director

AND TODAY'S WORD IS :
heterodox \HET-uh-ruh-doks\ (adjective) - 1 : Contrary to or differing from some acknowledged standard, especially in church doctrine or dogma; unorthodox. 2 : Holding unorthodox opinions or doctrines. "Already I was considered heterodox if not treasonable, and I was keenly alive to the danger of my position; nevertheless I could not at times refrain from bursting out into suspicious or half-seditious utterances, even among the highest Polygonal or Circular society." -- Edwin Abbott Abbott, 'Flatland' Heterodox comes from Greek heterodoxos, "of another opinion," from hetero-, "other" + doxa, "opinion," from dokein, "to believe."

No comments: